Causes Dry Flaky Itchy Skin
Dry, flaky, itchy skin is very common in dogs. Depending on what is causing your pets skin irritation will determine what the treatment will be. Most vets will run blood work and/or skin scrape. Just those 2 tests alone can really help narrow the field (by either telling you what is causing the dry, flaky, itchy skin or it will tell you what is not causing it which will help you be closer to pin pointing the real issue. If your pets diagnoses is looking like an allergy issue, we would strongly recommend seeing an allergy specialist. They can do specialized blood work testing that can allow you to get to the root of the allergy. Allergy specialist can also give you some daily medicines that can make a significant difference in quality of life for your pet.
- Environmental allergies
- Hot spots
- Abrasions and other skin problems in dogs.
- Relief of itchy or irritated skin.
- Alcohol-free, no-sting formula
- Will not affect topical flea control products
- All natural
- Developed by a Veterinarian
- Made in the U.S.A.
.Most Common Causes: .
- Parasites: Parasites such as: fleas, ticks, lice, scabies (sarcoptic mange), cheyletiella mites (often called "walking dandruff"), and even ear mites that have spread. Parasites are easy to diagnose by having your vet do a "skin scrape." Treatments are usually Ivermectin or an anti-parasitic medication / shampoo.
- Allergies: Allergies can be very frustrating because they are often hard to pin point what exactly your pet is allergic to which is why we advice seeing an actual allergy specialist if it's looking like your pet is struggling with those. Dry flaky itchy skin and scratching can be a huge sign of some soft of allergy. Your pet could be allergic to pretty much anything within your environment (inside or outside) such as your: grasses, ferns, flowers, weed killer, fertilizers, plants household cleaners, chemicals, laundry detergents, fabric softeners, shampoo's, perfumes, colognes, air fresheners, fabrics, carpeting, upholstery, carpet fresheners, something in the food or treats your giving them. etc...the list goes on and on.
- Fungal Infections: Fungal infections like yeast infections, ringworm etc.....can cause dry itchy scaly skin in dogs. If your pet does have a fungal infection, it should show up on the skin scrape your veterinarian can do.
- Health Issues: Health issues like auto-immune disorders, internal intestinal parasites, thyroid disorders are just a few health issues that can cause dry itchy scaly skin. If the underlying issues is a health problem, some blood work should show some insight on helping to determine which one.
- Living Environments: Dogs that are not drinking enough fresh water and are left outside in the heat / cold elements for too long during the day or night can get dry, flaky, itchy skin. Dogs that spend a lot of time in kennel runs, cages that are not kept clean, or homes where blankets, bedding, furniture etc...are not cleaned regularly are also subject to skin issues.
- Shampoo: If your dog is bathing or swimming too frequently, that can cause dry flaky skin. Also the type of shampoo you use is a real big factor. NEVER use human shampoo or baby shampoo. Why? It is NOT formulated with the same ph balance as dog shampoo and will ruin your dogs coat causing; lack of luster, loss of softness, tangle and mat easier and become dry, brittle and flaky.
- Diet: Poor nutrition is a huge contributor to dry, itchy, flaky skin, scratching, dull coat and other skin | health issues. Remember, cheaper low grade foods usually means higher vet bills down the road. We hear constantly from families on how they couldn't believe the difference when they upgraded to the proper food. It's always best to invest in a premium holistic grain free food. Make sure you research how to pick out a high quality dog food that is right for your dogs specific breed, age, weight, gender, activity level, and any health issues it might have. You can always contact us below to compare brands. We love helping families pick a diet that will promote longer, healthier lives in their pets.
TOP SELLER FOR SKIN & COAT
GUARANTEED OR YOUR MONEY BACK